Friday, January 29, 2010

Blizzards, brrrr!

Yesterday was pretty blizzardtastic, geepers. 
I managed to get some cute shots of Kai as he napped in front of the window.  My sister commented, "Isn't it awfully cold by the window?" Well, I keep my room in the mid-70's during winter, due to my arthritis being icky.  I close both my doors to keep all the heat in, which is probably why I have all the fur-kids gathered in my room most of the time, actually.  We have really nice double-paned glass windows that were just installed last year, I believe it was, so it's very comfortable by the window.
Kai's skinning nibble showed up a little better today.  I decided the little flap of skin was annoying last night, because it kept catching on things, so I just tore it off.  When I was little, my family called me Nurse M, because I loved taking care of wounds.  I was the only one in my family who wasn't grossed out by having to clean my mom's stitches after her surgery.  Hubby and I can watch CSI, Bones, etc on television while eating dinner and not be phased, too...but the second someone starts barfing?  Ugh...I can't do barfing.  Fortunately, my cats or dog barfing doesn't make me barf!  I clean up a lot of hairballs from both species when they start shedding and blowing their coats out.
I made Kai some tasty Continental Cuizine this morning and ate a little with him.  It's really tasty!  All I'd need to do for myself is sprinkle a little brown sugar on it!
Such a handsome profile!
We took a shower today and got all nice and clean.  Kai loves to sing in the shower with me, though he tends to sing and talk more after I've stopped showering him to wash my own hair.  He also really loves it when I pour a stream of water over him very close to his back and wings.  I think it must feel like a luxurious silk blanket being drawn over his body.  I probably won't do this in the future during mating seasons, though, because I don't want to make him frustrated.

I've started reading "Alex and Me", and the beginning talks about Alex dying, so I began crying right off the bat... Sue warned me that the ending was sad, but I've come to understand that any book about animals and their people always ends sadly.  People don't tend to write about their animals so much when they're alive.  It seems more cathartic to write about their animals after they've just died, so they can relive all the happy and meaningful memories.  I think that's why I like keeping a journal about Kai and the rest of my fur-kids, so I can look back on the entries later in life.  I think that's also why I take so many photographs of them, because later on, when they've gone on without me, I can go through the myriad of images and remember them.  My memory often fails me, but images and words linger with more permanency.

The difference is that I'm not writing for other people.  I'm just writing for myself, though I do invite my sister, family, and friends to read :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chirp!